Black Friday: Is YOUR Ecommerce Website Ready?
Last year, IMRG (Interactive Media in Retail Group) reported that £1.39bn was spent online on Black Friday. In a new forecast from digital agency Salmon, it is predicted that UK consumers will spend around £2.5bn on Black Friday this year, with each person spending an average of £90.
The forecast is based on a survey of 2,000 UK consumers. As well as the £2.5bn predicted Black Friday online spend, the survey also found that:
- 22% of people will start their Christmas shopping early this year due to Black Friday events
- People aged between 25 and 34 years old will spend the most at around £154 each, way above the average of £90
- Men are predicted to spend an average of 34% more than women
- Women are more likely to spend money online (49% as opposed to 46% for men)
- People from London will spend the most of any region in the UK, with an average spend of £141 each. People from Norwich will spend the least at just over £40 per person
- On average, 16% of people's total Christmas budget will be spent on Black Friday but this figure rises to 28% for those aged 16-24 years old
James Webster is the Head of Managed Services and Peak Trading Expert at Salmon. Commenting on the results of the new study, he said, "Black Friday is now a highlight in many consumers’ calendars but in an increasingly online and competitive retail world, it’s not only the deal that gets consumers through the door; it’s the experience and service they receive throughout the entire sales process.
Mr Webster offered advice to ecommerce companies with regard to Black Friday. He said, "With record online sales last year and a continued shift to mobile, it’s important for ecommerce companies of all types to ensure they’re offering a sophisticated, yet easy, customer experience that spans all channels and platforms.
Brick Technology specialise in helping our clients to maximise their efficiency, online presence and rates of conversion. If you want to find out more about preparing for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, give our team a call today!